Most people feel like they need a specific career to really discover
themselves and their talents. I feel
like all I have needed is to be a mother to really know and understand myself
and my abilities. I have discovered at
least 20 career paths and talents that I will continue to pursue. Whether in this life or the next, I know that
I have all of eternity to work on them.
So rather than limiting myself with just one, I work on them as I go and as I need
them. The things I have come to know
about myself are as follows:
1, 2, 3, 4. Actress,
Theatre, Singer, Dancer:
I LOVE to sing and dance. I dream of one day participating in a play
and singing the solo piece of Belle or some other Disney princess. Currently however, I enjoy life by singing
and dancing around my kitchen floor with my children and husband.
5. Hair Stylist:
I have discovered I love to cut
hair. It’s so fun to shape it exactly as
I want it and to save major bucks. I
also love to style it. Heavenly Father knew
what he was doing when he gave me two girls to work with. Yeah, usually their hair is a bit messy most
of the time, but when I get the chance, it feels good to make them feel
beautiful.
6. Home designer:
I love to organize and clean, and
organize again. I love making things out
of scratch. It feels great when I can
use materials to create things exactly as I want them. Or at least, somewhat resembling what I want
-makes life more beautiful and simple when things are clean. Turns our house into a home and feels so warm
and fresh when I do my part to keep my sphere of earth beautiful!
7. Writer:
I love to write. I love to edit. Expressing myself through blogs or my journal
really has been a great tool to help me reflect upon life and what really
matters.
8. Cook:
I have discovered that cooking is
awesome, and tasty, and fulfilling!! When I can take food from scratch and make
something completely mouth-watering delicious and something that makes my body
feel good and puts a smile on my husband’s face, life is good!
9. Photographer:
I LOVE taking pictures!!! I love getting the perfect angle, and the
perfect lighting, and the perfect simplicity that makes a good picture or a
picture with feeling. I love taking
pictures of my children and trying to capture their innocence and the
simplicity of being a kid.
10. Nurse/Midwife:
When I come across illness or
injury, I do my best to study up on medical information and love to know
exactly what’s going on with my body or my kids’ bodies. I also love studying what happens in a mother’s
body during pregnancy and childbirth and will give tried advice at any time. J
11. Special Needs Worker:
Children with special needs have a special
place in my heart. Knowing and
understanding human beings and how to fulfill their needs is such an awesome
task. Love is central to success!
12.
Movie Editor:
I love putting pictures or video together
to fun music or adding special effects.
If I had all the time in the world, I would probably be found doing this
a big chunk of the time.
13.
Nutritionist:
Understanding nutrition in the body and the
perfect balance that is needed for function, health and happiness and been a
great tool for our family, and has made me feel more energetic and happy as a
mother.
14.
Biologist/Chemist:
Looking at the most elemental things and
how they are put together brings me so much joy! The world seems like such a magnificent place
when I can really zero in on things.
15.
Pet
Caretaker/Gardener:
Animals and plants are one of life’s
greatest, most beautiful blessings.
Taking care and nourishing life is so rewarding, especially when the
fruits of my labors become manifest. I get to give and receive love.
16.
Artist:
Drawing, painting and creating allows me to
share joy with my children as they participate with me. Their abilities have increased as I have
taken the time to sit down with them to simply draw what is in my soul.
17.
Language Arts Specialist:
We love learning languages around
here. My children are as excited as I am
to learn new things and use them with each other.
18.
Teacher:
Teaching my children good principles,
information gathering, and practical skills creates an atmosphere of learning
and logic. I am so happy when they ask
questions. I feel I get to increase my knowledge as well, as I try to explain
and examine things and situations. When
a kid “gets it” the wheels of knowledge and truth begin turning. What a wonderful way to bring light into my
life.
19.
Athlete:
My abilities to run and bike and move
around have increased tremendously as I have had to use a lot of muscle to take
care of my children. I have found joy in
higher levels of activity today than ever before.
20.
Judge:
As situations arise, I have learned how to
problem solve with my husband and children and how to increase a healthy
environment. Balance and solving problems
together brings more elation than anything I’ve ever imagined.
So, as I sit here typing my thoughts, I have realized that
as I have made the choice to be a mother, I have been able to excel more than I
could ever have imagined. Yes motherhood
can be hard. But hard things are where
the lessons come in. When problems are
solved and knowledge is gained, joy is to be had. As I have anchored myself to my family, I
feel like a kite soaring free above the clouds.
Life is amazing and skills are sure to increase as effort is made. I am grateful at this time to focus on home
and family as I fulfill my role as Mother, or in other words, nurturer. What is a nurturer? -Someone who puts time and effort and even
exhaustion into something important, so it can grow and excel. Is it not clear why I have made the choice to
be here with my children, rather than choosing an occupation to specialize in that will take precious time away from my family? Obviously there are those who cannot for
whatever reason make that choice currently, and I’m not trying to make anyone
feel horrible about their situation. But
for those of us with a choice, we are needed in the world. Caretakers just won’t do. My family needs an anchor –an anchor of love
and truth. I’m grateful to fill that
role as I anchor myself to my husband and the Savior. I know my role is important, and I will
cherish it always. I have all of
eternity to develop my talents, one step at a time. I hope to always remember why I have them –to
build the kingdom of God and glorify my Father in Heaven. As my light increases so does my
Fathers. And THAT is true joy!
1 comment:
How beautiful you are, inside and out, Staci. How did we get so blessed to have such wonderful daughters who cherish motherhood! I wish I could have read this many years ago, when I was raising a family. - your descriptions of the growth, discoveries, fulfillment and blessings of your career as a mother, working in a Christ-centered home, is inspiring and deeply insightful. Much of what you said is also applicable to the joys of being a GRANDmother. Dad and I love and feel very grateful for every mother of our grandchildren.
Post a Comment